Salads often get a bad rap for being flavorless and dull, something you have to eat while trying to lose weight but would rarely choose for any other reason.
Those days are o-v-e-r.
Halloumi salads taste more like healthy grilled cheese sandwiches than anything else, and will completely change the way you look at lettuce.
I was first exposed to halloumi, a type of cheese, while studying abroad in Israel, but forgot all about it until last year when I noticed my favorite Yemenese restauranteurs selling it in salads.
An addiction soon began and — though I wouldn’t necessarily consider cheese a healthy food — halloumi has helped me eat wayyy more veggies than I otherwise would have over the past year.
So, what’s the secret to the best salad ever? One that men, women, and children alike will certainly find preferable to almost any vegetable-based alternative?
A combination of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and grilled halloumi that takes all of five minutes to prepare. Top it with olive oil, a teeny bit of raw apple cider vinegar (which has amazing health benefits), pepper, and you’re golden. Feel free to add a little cilantro if you’re feeling adventurous.
More detailed instructions, below:
- Mixed greens
- Halloumi cheese
- Baby tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Slice halloumi into thin strips (about half a centimeter thick), and put in a pan over low heat
- While halloumi is cooking, place greens and halved baby tomatoes in a large bowl
- Flip the halloumi when it turns golden brown, about 3-4 minutes
- Drizzle olive oil and a small (we're talking, teaspoon max) amount of raw apple cider vinegar over your greens and begin to mix.
- Once the other side of the halloumi is golden brown, remove from heat and place over the salad
- Serve immediately